City, Charlston District Center, South Carolina, USA
Last updated: January 2018
Charlston is in South Carolina. It is the oldest city in the state, where the historical center is preserved, built by houses of the XVIII and XIX centuries.
8, Elliott Street, a typical street landscape south of the center
North American Eastern time
Charlston is a typical city in the south of the United States; perhaps even the most typical: Like all the southern cities a century and a half ago. In the center is a labyrinth of streets, and almost every house is known when it was built and who it belonged to—and it usually belonged to planters or shipowners, and in the yard of almost every house there were premises where the slaves lived. Slavery long ago abolished, black formally equalized in rights with white, black and white culture left a worthy mark in history, but Charlston tells us what history was and how very different things were combined in the same place — on the one hand, lively trade and industrial development and outstanding cultural achievements, on the other is the revolt of slaves and the total defeat of the black in rights. And the monuments to the soldiers of the Civil War—from the southerners, of course—still stand in the center of Charlston, showing us that this history page is not closed here. But it's enough for a traveler to look around, because it's easier than anywhere else in Charlston to imagine how a rich American city lived two hundred years ago.
Founded in 1670, Charlston is South Carolina's oldest city, and the age of Charlston is a worthy one in the United States. The city's original name was Charles Town, the name of the English King Charles II who authorized the construction, and was later simplified to Charlston. The city was the capital of the English province of Carolina, and it was from here that the colonization of the lands now forming the south of the US began. Since Charles Town was at sea, he was regularly attacked by French, Spanish, and pirate elements, with Indian attacks from the mainland added. Thus, in 1718 pirates under the command of Edward Tich aka Black Beard have besieged the city for a week, robbed ships in the port and seized crews and passengers, and then exchanged them for ransom and lifted the siege. However, by the mid-18th century, everything had returned to normal, and Charlestown became the richest city and most important port of the southern states. Its economy was mainly based on the cultivation of cotton and rice by black slaves on the plantations of South Carolina (a separate colony since 1712). In 1736 the first building of the theater in English colonies of North America was built here, in 1773 - the first building of the public museum. In 1774, South Carolina declared its independence from Britain, for which Charles Town was attacked three times by the British army and navy. For the third time, in April 1780, the British, under the command of Henry Clinton, besieged the city and, after a month of siege, took it. They rebuilt the city's fortifications, but in 1782, after a final defeat in North America, withdrew their forces. In 1783 the city was officially renamed to Charlston. In 1788, the state capital of South Carolina was moved from Charlston to Columbiya, a formal reason for this was the fire in a building built as a state capitol (later a court), but the real reason was that during two years of British occupation, the residents of South Carolina lost trust in the administration that sat in Charlston.
Since independence, the US plantations have grown larger, and the black population of Charlston has grown accordingly. In 1822, a resident of Denmark Wessy was arrested and charged with preparing a slave rebellion. After the trial, Vessi and several dozen of his followers were hanged, and the rights of the black, both free and slave, were significantly restricted. During the US Civil War, South Carolina sided with the southerners, and there were quite important events, as South Carolina was the first among the southern states to declare its withdrawal from the US on December 24, 1861, and it was in the port of Charlston that the entire Civil War began fighting when the firearm was fired in the port and the ship "Star of the West" belonging to the Severans. On February 17, 1864, the first attack of a submarine (a submarine of the South H. L. Hunley" sank the northern boat "USS Housatonic"). Nevertheless, the end of the war is well known, and in 1865 the Northern troops occupied Charlston. Since then, the slow decline of the city began. Post-war reconstruction was slow, liberated slaves lived in the city, but suffered the same discrimination, and no one was going to integrate them into white society. In 1866 there was a strong earthquake. Charlston was in his epicenter, and was badly destroyed, with 2,000 houses damaged. However, Charlston was able to recover, and in the 1920s it became, and still remains, one of the centers of tourism in the USA. In the 1970’s, the center was rebuilt, and is now a remarkable example of the rich, preserved and restored American city of the nineteenth century.
Because of the mixed nature of the population, Charlston had a huge impact on music development in the United States, especially in the first half of the 20th century. Two of the most famous musical works related to the city are the dances of Charleston, which originated here and popularized in Broadway in the early 1920s, and the opera "Porghi and Bess", which takes place in Charlston. The libretto's author, Duboz Hayward, who had previously written a novel with the name, was a resident of the city, and the music author, George Gershwin, came here to work on the project on purpose.
The center of Charleston is located on a peninsula formed by the estuaries of the Cooper (east) and Ashley (west) rivers. The traveler from all this peninsula will need only the southern part, approximately limited by the streets Ann and Radcliffe. From Ann to the southern end of the peninsula walk for forty minutes; to Market Street, the center itself - about fifteen. To the south of Broad Street there is no civilization — no shops, no restaurants, only residential neighborhoods.
1Charleston Visitor Center,375 Meeting (northwest). Free city maps and lots of information.November 2017
How to get
1 Charleston International Airport, 5500 International Blvd (about 20 km northwest of the center). Despite the name, passenger flights are currently operated only from the United States - and not even from all major airports. But you don't have much of a choice— no other international airport is close to Charlston, so if you don't want to go to Washington or Atlanta and drive there, you're gonna have to fly over here. You can reach the city by car or taxi.November 2017
2North Charleston station (Charleston), 4565 Gaynor Avenue (about 10 km north of the center). The train station, which is labeled as Charlston, is actually located in North Charlston, quite far from the center. Two pairs of trains a day pass through the station, both AMTRAK companies: Palmetto (New York — Savannah) and Silver Meteor (New York — Miami). There is no public transport to get to the center of Charlston.Dec 2017
3Greyhound, 3610 Dorchester Rd, North Charleston. The bus station is located in North Charlston, and you can get to the city by bus 11, which stops next to the airport.Dec 2017
Almost from anywhere (e.g. from Washington to the north or Miami from the south you will go on I-95) you will need the I-26 road to the east, leading to the center of Charlston (the departure of Meeting Street leads, respectively, to the Meeting Street, from where five minutes to the information center). There are several parking lots in the center at a price of about $15 per day. For example, a large covered parking is located directly opposite the entrance to the information center. In the south of the peninsula all parking is only for residents. The southernmost options are located somewhere in the Market Street area, from where you will have to walk. Check the parking lot in advance.
On the ship
Cruise ships enter the port. In Charleston itself, you can call a water taxi that travels between four marinas: one near the aquarium, another on the seafront in the center.
The center has bus routes, which can be obtained, for example, in the information center, but in standard situations the traveler does not need them.
Charlston is remarkable not so much for its separate buildings and monuments (although there are very good ones), but for its well preserved and urban environment historical center, most of which is located in the French Quarter, limited from the Market Street north, from the west of the Meeting Street, and from the south and east of the embankment. In the rectangular grid of streets of the French Quarter in the north there is still some tourist infrastructure, and in the south - only residential houses, mainly owned by private owners. The best way to get to know this part is by walking around the streets. In principle, it is not very important which streets you choose, but if you have enough time, study Church (entirely), Elliott and Chalmers. One of Charlston's distinctive features is rows, analog of a multi-access house, where several facades face the street close to each other. The most famous and most spectacular of them, but by no means the only - Rainbow row.
South Broad Street
Tower of St. Michael's Church
1William Gibbes House,64 South Battery, 14th. A two-story stone-based wooden house with a huge porch and two stairs is considered a masterpiece of georgian architecture (i.e., 18th century architecture, when Britain was ruled in a row by four kings named Georg) of the level not only of Charlston, but of the whole of America. The house was built in the 1750s and painted white.Nov 2017
2Miles Brewton House , 27 King Street. A two-story brick house with a huge portico (including a porch and a balcony) with columns, 1769 (architect Ezra Waite) is a good example of georgian architecture, with the clear impact of Italian revival. The garden was preserved in the layout of the 18th century, and on the north side of the property there were buildings where the slaves lived. However, it is a private property, and neither there nor there will let you.November 2017
3.White Point Garden (South end, between South Battery and Murray Bvld.). The park is located on the site of the former defensive shaft, which is still reminiscent of the name of the Battery quay. The promenade offers a view of both rivers, although the views on the promenade are more interesting in the Park. Among other things, there is a monument in the park to soldiers of the Southern (Slave) Army of the Civil War.March 2018
4Robert William Roper House, 9 E Battery. The three-story brick house, built in 1838, is an example of neoclassicism (a kind of neoclassicism in the US called the Greek Renaissance). The side facade of the house is outside, and the main facade is remarkable for its portico with columns all three floors high (and without any balconies). The first owner, Robert William Roper, was a rich cotton planter, and from 1929 to 1968 the house belonged to Solomon Guggenheim, founder of the Guggenheim Museum in New York. Guggenheim, however, lived in New York, and in Charlston only came to rest.Nov 2017
5 Edmondston-Alston House,21 East Battery. W-Sat 10:00 - 16:30, Sun-Mon 13:00 - 16:30. $12.00. The large three-story house on both sides is surrounded by huge balconies. This part of the city was regularly flooded by the sea until 1820, when protection against waves was built, and no construction was possible. The house was built from 1820 to 1828 by shipowner Charles Edmondston, and in 1838 it was bought by planter Charles Alston after the bankruptcy of Edmondson. At first, Alston redesigned the Neo-classical house and added the third floor, and after the earthquake of 1886, one of the balconies collapsed and was replaced with a new, remarkable cast iron lattice. The house is now owned by the Middleton Plays Foundation, which converted the house into a museum and organizes excursions there.Jan 2018
6 Calhoun Mansion,16 Meeting St.. Every day, the schedule of excursions see the site$16. It is not for nothing that most of the neighboring houses are called "house," and this one is called "mansion." It stands on a huge plot, and the garden even goes out into the street with its end. The house was built in 1876 for the businessman George Walton Williams, who wanted to demonstrate how Charlston recovered from the Civil War. Architect William Russell. After Williams' death in 1903, the mansion was bought by US President Calhoun's grandson, whose name is home and wears. It is not bad outside, and the balconies are well visible from the street, but much more interesting inside, where the mansion can be viewed with a tour.Jan 2018
7 DHC, Nathaniel Russell House, 51 Meeting St.. Mon-Sun 10:00 - 17:00. $12; in combination with Aitken-Retta's $18 house. This brick house was built in 1808 for shipowner Nathaniel Russell and is considered one of the best models of American neoclassicism. The most characteristic element is an erker on all three floors, but in general, it is necessary to look at everything - both the huge entrance door, the characteristic form of the window, and the gate. It's even more interesting inside. Near the house is a huge garden. The house belongs to Historic Charleston Foundation, you can get inside with a tour.Jan 2018
8Robert Brewton House, 71 Church Street. The three-story building of the early 18th century (until 1715) is the earliest preserved example of the so-called Charleston single house. These houses, which are built almost half of the historical center, are narrow and long, and are always pulled aside from the street where the main façade opens. One explanation of the popularity of this design is that a house with only one room wide is best blown out in the heat; Another, apparently apocryphic, is that during the popularity of such houses, real estate taxes were calculated on the width of the facade, not on the full area of the plot.Jan 2018
9 Heyward-Washington House,87 Church Street. Mon-Sb 10:00 - 17:00, Sun 12:00 - 15:00. $12; $18 if combined with the Charleston Museum or Joseph Manigolt's house; $25 if you combine all three museums.. The house was built in 1772 for Thomas Gaevard Jr., who was one of the deputies to the US Declaration of Independence four years later. George Washington's name in the house name came from the fact that Washington stayed here during his visit to Charlston in 1791. For this purpose, the city formally rented a house from Geyward for a week. The latter sold it in 1794, and since 1929 it has functioned as a museum. The house itself is brick, three-story, with large windows, white frames and shutters in the bottom row of windows. The interior was partially preserved, the 18th century atmosphere was partially restored, the entrance only with excursion. Nearby is a kitchen building from the 1740s, a rare thing for America. It and the garden can be reached with the same excursion. In neighboring houses (83 and 85), the so-called Cabbage Row (Cabbage Row), which appears to be undistinguishable, the action of Gershwin's opera "Porgi and Bess" (where they are derived as Catfish Row) takes place. In fact, Catfish Suite includes Summertime, Gershwin's most famouswork January 2018
10 DHC (Rainbow Row), 79-107 East Bay Street. One of the most impressive (if not the most impressive) ensembles of the center of Charleston is made up of thirteen houses, each painted in different colors. However, the colors were not original, but were created after the restoration in the 1930s-1940s — until then there were slums here for a long time. On the East Bay Street side, which faces the facades, they are covered with trees, so the best view is either in the winter when the leaves fall or the corner of Elliott. The oldest house, No. 97 (the house of Otníl Bíla), was built in 1741, and the houses from 95 to 101 were all built until 1788, when the fire destroyed this part of the city almost entirely. The rest of Rainbow row houses date back to the 1780s, which is also a very respectable age for the US. A sign on the houses claims that the action of Gershwin's opera "Porge and Bess" takes place in the back yards of Rainbow row houses, but this is a significant exaggeration, the action takes place in the Cabbage Row at the Catfish Row at Church Street two blocks west. january 2018
Broad Street and North
135 Church Street
9 Queen Street
11Former Customs Building (Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon, Custom House), 122 E Bay St. A brick classicist building from 1767-1771 served as a British prison during the US Independence War, customs, market, stock exchange, post office, and public building. It was here that South Carolina's Legislative Assembly gathered in 1788 to ratify the US Constitution. Now functioning as a museum.Jan 2018
12---Waterfront Park, between Vendue Range in the north and Adger's Wharf (continued by Tradd St.) in the south . From the center to the park you can go through the streets of Queen, Broad or Elliott.). A pretty large park on the banks of the Cooper River, built in 1979 by architect Stuart Dawson and considered a good example of modern landscape architecture. There are two fountains in the park, and in the summer it is possible to hide from the heat under the trees (though, most likely, there will be more than trees), but most importantly - species, including at Fort Samter. For their sake it is worth walking an extra 200 meters from the historical part of the French Quarter and going to the park.Jan 2018
13 DHCChurch of St. St. Michael's Episcopal Church) , 80 Meeting St.. The oldest preserved Church of Charleston was built in the 1750s in the style of classicism, just like a textbook, with a portico with columns and a huge sharp-pointed tower painted in white, and since the church is also located at the crossroads of two important Faces, it closes panoramas visible from a huge number of places. Inside the stained-glass of 1898.November 2017
14John Rutledge House , 116 Broad St.. Three-story house with a balcony on the second floor, with an imposable grate made of wrought iron. The house was built in 1763 for John Rutledge, the future governor of South Carolina and one of the delegates who signed the US Constitution. Originally the house was two-story, the third floor and a balcony were built already in the XIX century. Currently functioning as a hotel.Nov 2017
15 DHCPink House,17 Chalmers Street. The house, painted in a characteristic pink color, was built from 1694 to 1712 (which, however, is disputed, the exact date is unknown) and is one of the oldest buildings not only Charlston, but also the whole of South Carolina. Along with the Powder Warehouse, it is one of two buildings during the period when Charlston was still surrounded by the city wall. Presumably, at that time the house was a tavern. Look at the roof with the tile, it differs markedly from the neighboring houses. The house has been used in different ways over the past 300 years, like a tavern and as a living, and at the beginning of the 20th century there was a workshop of the artist Alice Smith, the most famous representative of the School of Charleston Renaissance. Now there is a house again, visit is impossible, but outside it looks nice and is one of the most photographed buildings of the city. Don't confuse with another house on Chalmers painted in pink, on the other side of Church (22 Chalmers) - it itself is not bad, but significantly younger.Feb 2018
16 DHCChurch (Huguenot Church), 136 Church St.. The only French Protestant (Calvinist, that is, Gugenot) Church in the United States is, not surprisingly, in the center of the French Quarter—the French merchants who settled in Charlston were Protestants. The church was built in 1844 under the design of local architect Edward Brikell White in neo-Gothic style (this is also the oldest neo-Gothic church in South Carolina). Before 1828, they served in French, then they started in English, and most of the 20th century did not serve at all, because the Calvinist community of Charleston was too small. Organ in church 1845, made in New York.Jan 2018
17Church of St. Philip (St. Philip's Episcopal Church) , 142 Church St.. A huge church, which actually is called Church Street - more precisely, the street is named on one of its predecessors, and the modern building was built in 1836 in the style of neoclassicism (clearly the influence of the English architect Christopher Ren, who, however, has a direct attitude to the Church of St. Philip did not). The church is first of all remarkable for its multi-level tower, which was completed in 1850, and threeports 2018
18 Powder Magazine (79 Cumberland St.). Mon-Sb 10:00 - 16:00, Sun 13:00 - 16:00. $6. The gunpowder storage building, built in 1713, is not particularly architecturally remarkable, but it is the oldest preserved public building of both Carolin. Along with the Pink House, this is one of two buildings during the time when Charlston was still surrounded by the city wall. Now opened as a museum since 1902, it is the first in Charlston project of museum of historical building. Near it stands the house of Nicholas Trott, not particularly exquisite architectural, but built in 1709 and thus probably the oldest brick house of Charlston.Jan 2018
19Unitari Church (itarian Church), 4 Archdale St.. Church with a characteristic square tower with teeth, the second oldest church of Charleston (after the Gugenot). Construction began in 1772 and was not finished by the start of the independence war. The apocryphal legends, not confirmed by the sources, tell us that the British who took Charlston used the building as a stable, although the motivation for this action, if it was in reality, is not quite clear. The church was completed in 1787. In 1852, the building was rebuilt, and during the earthquake of 1886, the tower collapsed, and according to the design of the Boston architect Thomas Silloway, the existing building was built.Dec 2017
20Synagogue Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim, 90 Hasell St.. The Jewish community of Charleston is one of the oldest in the United States, the congregation was founded in 1749, but the modern synagogue was built in 1840 in neoclassical style by New York architect Cyrus Warner. This is the second oldest synagogue in the United States, and the oldest one that has been used continuously since its founding. The most notable detail is a huge portico with columns.Dec 2017
21William Blacklock House, 18 Bull St (center, but west of the main mass of tourist facilities). The brick two-story house was built in 1800 and is considered to be one of the best in the USA samples of the so-called Adam style, it is the style of Adelphi, a kind of neoclassicism that integrated interiors, including movable objects, into a single complex. Outside, the house is a wonderful porch with two stairs. It belongs to the Charlston College, inside the college'soffices December 2017
Near the Ann Street
Joseph Manigolt's House
22 Joseph Manigault House,350 Meeting St. (near the information center). Mon-Sb 10:00 - 17:00, Sun 12:00 - 15:00. $12; $18 if combined with the Charleston Museum or the Gayward-Washington House; $25 if you combine all three museums. A three-story brick house with a two-story portico is relatively far from the center, in the former suburb. The house was built in 1803 and is a good example of the same Adam style. The garden house looks more interesting than the street, the entrance to the garden is free. The house is now owned by the Preservation Society of Charleston and operates as a museum, and can be reached with atour in January 2018
23William Aiken House andCamden Depot , 456 King St; 29-31 Ann St (next to Information Center). The South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company, which began shipping in 1830, is one of the oldest railways in the United States. It lasted until 1844 (when it was sold and converted to the South Carolina Railroad Company), and consisted of the only line of 219 km long - between Charlston and Hamburg, which was left by the last inhabitants in 1929 and currently does not exist . Most of the line is not preserved, of course, but in Charlston there are two depots, Camden Depot neo-Gothic style on John Street and Tower Depot (which leaves only two towers) on Mary Street. Both depots were built since the 1830s, but were completed only in 1850. Later, two warehouses were put between them. The nearby house of the company's founder, William Eiken, was built in 1807.Dec 2017
24Aiken-Rhett House, 48 Elizabeth St. (near the information center). Mon-Sun 10:00 - 17:00. $12; in combination with Nataniel Russell's $18 house. Built in 1820, a two-story stone house with a huge wooden balcony belonged to William Eiken, owner of the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company, and then to his son, also William Eiken, Governor of South Carolina. It is now owned by the Historic Charleston Foundation, and can be reached by tour.Jan 2018
What to do
The Old Slave Market
1 Gibbes Museum of Art, 135 Meeting St (Historical Center). W 10:00 - 17:00, Wed 10:00 - 20:00, Thu-Sat 10:00 - 17:00, Sun 13:00 - 17:00$15. Not a very large permanent meeting, mostly devoted to local authors. If you enter the museum, don't miss the hall dedicated to the movement of the so-called Charleston Renaissance of the mid-20th century, as well as the work of black artists. There may be interesting temporary exhibitions. An hour of inspection should be enough.Jan 2018
2 Charleston Museum (Charleston Museum), 360 Meeting Street (near the Information Center). Mon-Sb 9:00 - 17:00, Sun 12:00 - 17:00. $12; $18 if combined with Joseph Manigolt's house or the Gayward-Washington house; $25 if you combine all three museums.. One of the oldest museums in the United States (founded in 1773, opened for public visit in 1823, although it is located in a new building). A large collection of local history, in which everything is little by little: The history of Charleston and South Carolina, a casual collection of applied art, including local silver, ceramics and furniture, as well as, for example, Dutch fabrics, and also paleontological and mineralogical collection.Dek 2 017
3 Old Slave Mart,6 Chalmers Street (Center). Mon-Sb 9:00 - 17:00. The building was built in 1859, before the civil war itself (after which slavery was abolished). Presumably, it is the only preserved building of the slave market in South Carolina. The museum tells not only about the building, but also about African-American culture in general.Feb 2018
4 Karpeles Manuscript Library Charleston Museum, 68 Spring St (visibly north of center). W-Sun 11:00 - 16:00. The Charleston Museum is one of the Carpiles Manuscripts Museums in the United States, and the exhibits move from the museum to the museum. The meeting is organized in the form of temporary exhibitions showing manuscripts on a particular subject. The building in neoclassical style with a huge portico (former Methodist Church) was built in 1856.Dec 2017
5 South Carolina Aquarium, 100 Aquarium Wharf. Mon-Sun 9:00 - 16:00adult $30, children $23. Large aquarium. Of the not-so-traditional animals, there are alligators, sea turtles (loggerhead), and oats; Of course, there are many traditional fish species, including sharks.Dec 2017
1 City Market (City Market), 188 Meeting St (Market and Meeting angle). Mon-Sun 9:30 - 18:00, Thu-Sat 18:30 - 20:30. Large complex on Market Street with a huge number of souvenir shops on Charleston and Carolina themes. The building itself (coming to the Meeting façade) is one of the most prominent in the city, it was built in the 1840s by the project of local architect Edward White in the style of neoclassicism (this kind of which in the USA is called Greek Revival).Jan 201 8
1City Lights Coffee, 141 Market St, (Between King and Meeting). Day only. A small stylish coffee shop. Besides coffee, other cakes.November 2017
2Starbucks, 239 King Street. Almost not the only place in the city where in the evening you can drink normal coffee without ordering dinner (and nothing else at all).Nov 2017
3 Toast of Charleston, 155 Meeting Street (South of Market crossing). Soup: $7, the main dishes are around $15-$20. The restaurant on one of the main streets, mainly light food - soups, salads and sandwiches, but there are also basic dishes. Good quality. There are always visitors due to the location, but apart from peak time, no reservation is needed.Nov 2017
4 R Kitchen , 212 Rutledge Ave (northwest of the center). There is no menu, food is prepared right in front of you, visitors cannot choose dishes (apparently, can report allergies). Only 16 or 20 (depending on the weather) seats, so reserve strongly in advance. Visitors' reviews are mostly enthusiastic.Dec 2017
5Halls Chophouse, 434 King St (near the information center). A typical American steakhouse with large and expensive portions. We have to reserve it tonight. Good reviews.Dec 2017
6 Grill 225, 225 E Bay St (Center). Also steakhouse (plus seafood), also with large portions and also expensive. Good reviews.Dec 2017
Where to stay
As in any big city, in the center of Charlston, there are dozens of hotels, all of which are expensive. It is unlikely that you will find something cheaper than $100 per room per night, and most likely the parking will not be included in the price. If you are by car and want cheaper, choose suburbs - for $50 there should be enough hotels/motels within 20 minutes drive from the center.
1 NotSo Hostel, 156 Spring St (northeastern center). From $28 per bed in a large room, from $68 per single room for one or two people without facilities.. Wi-Fi, parking included in the price. It seems to be the only hostel in the city. The reviews are generally good, although note that in summer the rooms can be very hot, even to the point that one of the visitors bought a fan at the supermarket for his money.Dec 2017
2 Meeting Street Inn, 173 Meeting St (Center), from $120. Three stars. WiFi, jacuzzi, no parking available (nearby, but at the cost of it). Reviews are generally good.Dec 2017
3 French Quarter Inn, 166 Church St (center). from $200. Four stars. There is no parking at the hotel, you should park in the city. Feedback is good, but the price is overstated.Dec 2017
Free wi-fi is available in any cafe or restaurant, as well as in the information center.
As in any big American city, do not go, especially after dark, to areas you know nothing about and respect the signs of where private property begins.
1 Drayton Hall (Drayton Hall)3,380 Ashley River Rd (approximately 20 km from the center of Charlston, public transport is not available). Mon-Sb 9:30 - 15:30, Sun 11:00 - 15:30, excursions once an hour. $22. The plantation of the XVIII century is considered a masterpiece of Palladian architecture. It was built in the early 1750s by a landowner, John Dreyton, who grew indigo and rice. Although two buildings were lost in the late nineteenth century, the plantation remained largely unchanged. The most interesting thing is the main house: brick, three-story, with huge porch with columns.dec 2017